Friday, May 14, 2010

To Blog, or not to blog? That is the question

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to use my blog for. Obviously, it's to keep family and friends updated on our lives and what new endeavors the kids are up to, but then there is the reflective side of me, the side that likes to share what I've learned about situations or other peoples experiences. Now here's the tough one, I'm a very personal person so I don't want to share too much, I mean isn't that what my journal is for? But if I'm keeping a journal, what's the purpose of a blog? I hardly have time for either one and if I've already written in my journal, do I want to write it again in the blog?

I LOVE to read other peoples blogs. But then I think how monotonous and boring my life is and if anyone would care to read my adventures, but then again, I can't really say that my life is boring, but I will remind you that it is definitely adventurous.

Like I said, I love reading other peoples blogs and what creative things they do with them, like designate a certain day of the week for a special update. I suppose I could do that, but as you can tell, I'm not very reliable on keeping this thing updated.

I guess I could just commit to be a better blogger and write whatever comes to mind, so here I go...
I'm still reflecting on our trip back east to see a lot of the church historical sites. Luckily, I already wrote about every spot we saw and every emotion felt in my journal (see what I mean about neglecting the blog), but the spirit of the trip is still alive. My testimony of the church is still burning, but the fire was rekindled and I feel a new commitment to be a better person; a better woman, wife, mother, and a better daughter of God.

The thing that strikes me is how Joseph and Emma Smith and the early saints just did what they knew to be right, it wasn't easy, but they knew it was right and it was God's will. The constant moving around and giving up of their possesions, the constant persecution. The loss of friends and family who didn't want anything to do with the church. The loss of loved ones. I am so grateful for all that they did, all that they sacrificed. If it wasn't for their testimonies and for their decision to follow the will of God, would we still have the church today?

Am I as strong? I often asked myself that question while visiting these sacred sites. Is my faith strong enough? Could I make those same decisions and sacrifices? It scares me to think that my answer maybe, "no", I'm that strong.

Which leads me to my next thought; the choices we make today, however small and insignificant they may seem, will have an effect on generations to come. When I think about it in that way, and see that what I do now will affect my posterity and others in the future, I know that I am strong, that I do have faith to be strong and endure persecution or whatever hardship awaits...at least I'm hoping I'm that strong.

In the moment, it doesn't seem like the difficult choice we are facing is really that big of a deal if we just give in or give up, and that it won't matter to anyone else, or affect anyone else. But it does. I know that choosing to do what's right, and choosing to follow God's will is the best choice. It may not make sense to anyone else and others may even think I'm crazy, heck they may never understand the reasoning behind my decision; but if I know in my heart that it is the right choice and that I'm following the Lord's will, as difficult as it may be, it's still the right choice. Choosing the right, wasn't meant to be easy. Making the right choice shouldn't be about pleasing others or worrying about what others may think of you, it's about peace of mind.

Since returning from the trip, I've had this itching desire to learn more about Emma Smith. What an amazing woman. I've purchased a few books on her and have begun reading one that is impossible to put down, but of course I put it down because I have my strippling warriors to tend to.

Speaking of my boys, oh how I love them. Tommy and Trenton have been in big boy undies all week, with few accidents. I don't even want to write about it, because once it's out there in the open, I just know that someone will start having accidents all the time, but this week has been pleasant. They went to preschool on Tuesday and Thursday and had no accidents at all, it was awesome. A friend of mine suggested that the boys get one M&M for peeing in the potty and two for pooping in the potty, it seems to be a great gesture so far.

It amazes me how fast they grow. I realize more everyday, how much time I have left to teach them to "choose the right" (ha-there is that phrase again) and to love Jesus and to be like him. To show them that Jesus is the ultimate role model, as well as other scriptural heroes. I'm so grateful for my calling in Primary, I love the kids I teach. First of all, they are so cute and so smart. I hope my boys will pick up on what we teach here at home and be just as smart. But I love re-learning the simpler things of the Gospel, the things that are so important, yet so basic, i.e. prayer, obedience, following the prophet, helping others, caring for others, reading the scriptures, going to church, etc.

Joseph is now in Nursery with his big brothers and he's done well so far. Having his brothers in there has been a huge help. Oh my babies are growing so fast.

I love Celine Dion. I've always been a fan but knowing her struggle with infertility has made me a bigger fan. I love the album, "A New Day", she reflects on the struggle and the joy of motherhood. Oh and her album--oh geez, I forget the title but the one with all the lullabies and songs about motherhood...I love that one as well. That was a random thought for ya.

Okay, so other things I've been up to is getting rid of junk, yup, I guess I'm a bit of a pack rat, but I've gotten better at trashing junk I just don't need and that's a huge plus.

I'm reading the Emma Smith book, but I'm also reading Nicholas Sparks' "Dear John". I love his books, he is my favorite romance author.

I keep thinking about "LOST" and how will it end, I can't believe that it's just about over.

Can you believe that ABC has canceled "FlashForward", what the flip? I'm not happy about that. I also heard "Heroes" is being canceled, not too bummed about that though, once I got confused I lost interest.

I've also been doing word finds. My mother did those a lot. I'm becoming more like her in that way. I miss her so much.

I really want to to the observatory, I looked it up online and it seems so interesting. I've taken a liking to the sky lately. I think it's because it's the one thing that we can all agree on, you know astronomy, there is no right or wrong like in politics. I love politics, but it's getting ugly lately. I just want to learn about something that isn't so disagreeable and can cause others to become unpleasant.

It seems as though a lot of people around me have a loved one who is sick or dying or has died, I've been seeing it all week long on FB status updates. I hope everyone is well. How we take our health for granted, well I know I do. I know I take having three healthy beautiful boys for granted as well. I love my hubby and sons, so much. They are the best blessing ever!!

I had to get a crown at the dentist last night, I was very out of it from the drugs. Apparently, I said some weird things on the way home. But I pretty much knocked out once home and was zonked. Michael gave the boys a bath in our room and they were jumping on me and falling on me and I didn't wake up. So here's the funny part, Tommy pooped in the tub and Trenton started freaking out (Trenton is our neat freak). Of course this had to happen to Michael who doesn't change poopy diapers, and it had to happen to him while I was out. I had to share this because it was too funny not to.

Okay, well I think this is it for now. Maybe it's been boring for you, but it's been quite the experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment