Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I am a Mother




I just finished reading a wonderful book titled, "I am a Mother" written by Jane Clayson Johnson.

I absolutely love this book and enjoyed reading it. It was one of those books I couldn't put down, and when I had to, I couldn't wait to pick it up again. Jane has a lot of positive reminders about how wonderful motherhood is and how women should be proud of our roles as mothers and not feel as what we are doing is not that important.

She goes through all the ups and downs of motherhood but how it's all worth the energy, time, and dedication we put into it.

Many have the misconception that stay at home mothers are lazy, uneducated, or not career driven. If any of you are stay at home mothers, you obviously know how far from the truth this is. I've learned that the only way any one can truly understand how busy and all encompassing being a stay at home mother is, is to actually be one...or watch someone's children so that mommy and daddy can get away for a weekend.

I've often responded to the question, "What do you do?" with the simple answer, "I'm just a stay at home mom." Because while I know what I am doing is THE most important job that can ever be done, I also know that the majority of people don't see it the same way. I'm sure my response gives the wrong impression to the person asking the question, that even I am either not proud of what I do, or that even I myself feel as though what I'm doing is unimportant, or maybe that I am in fact lazy and uneducated.

Mothers need to be proud of who we are and what we do, with the understanding that most people will disagree or clearly won't understand why being a mother is so important to us. We need to show that being a mother is important to us, and that we feel it is important not only to our children, but to our society.

I was also reminded while reading this book about my divine nature, the inner part of me that just come naturally, everything being a woman is; meek, gentle, loving, virtuous, kind, giving, strong, and of course beautiful.

I will definitely read this book again.

2 comments:

  1. My MIL gave this book to me when I was pregnant with Ella. I absolutely love this book. It has such a great message and is such a good reminder of how important our role is even when others minimize the importance of being a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book. I do the same thing with saying just a stay at home mom. I need to be better with that also.

    ReplyDelete